“Life gets that much harder. It makes you that much stronger. Some pages turned, some bridges burned, but there were lessons learned.”
The year 2016 was full of ups and downs, defeats and victories, sorrow and happiness, as is characteristic of all years but mine was slightly different in that I had made a decision to be conscious of everything that was happening within and around me. I laughed, I cried, made friends, lost friends, created lasting memories,made mistakes… but most importantly I learnt and it is these lessons that will make this new year great. I have a feeling that 2017 will be one of my best year yet and you know what they say about a woman’s intuitions…
I started off 2016 with a goal in mind- to become a better version of myself. I purposed to discover new things about myself by taking more risks; what better way to know who you really are than when you push yourself to the limit?
As I was going through my highlights of the year, I wrote down a list of the lessons that I will be taking with me into this new year and thought why not share a few of them.
- It all works out in the end. Somehow, someway things just fall into place, all we have to do is believe that they eventually will. Faith really does move mountains.
- Family is everything. Sometimes we take our families for granted just because we know they will be there through it all and they never disappoint, well most of them. Last year I learnt that without my family I would have drowned in the sea of life (might be cheesy but it is the truth). I would not be where I am today- physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually- if it weren’t for my awesome family. They’ve always had my back no matter what.
- Friendships are priceless and we should cherish them. Friends choose to be in our lives, to experience our joys, sorrows, downfalls, triumphs, heartbreaks… They choose to stick around even when they really don’t have to. God has been gracious enough to me to give me precious friends whom I would at least take a second or two to consider catching a grenade for. They are awesome in every way and I know that they have contributed greatly to making me the person that I am today.
- If you want something bad enough you will eventually get it. I mean, if you put your heart and soul into it, God will eventually come through for you. It may take a day, a week, a year or even several years but the wait makes you appreciate it even more.
- It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. I wish I could get this through my stubborn heart. I hope this year I will take my own advice. The problem is when you keep expecting the worst from people it can be very hard to trust anyone.
- Growing up is HARD! Really HARD, I am not even kidding. See, when you’re used to being daddy’s little girl and all of a sudden everything changes and you have to start acting like an adult that’s when you realize how hard ‘adulting’ really is. I know I will always be daddy’s princess but I need to learn how to be independent and it is really hard.
- Don’t waste time regretting stuff you did or didn’t do, focus on the present and future. You are not in control of the past but you can change what happens ‘now’ going forward.
- Not to overthink things, take more risks and discover what you are really made of. You might just surprise yourself.
- Not to wait for anyone to validate you. Someone once said, “Don’t wait for people to approve you, affirm you or validate you. Show them what you‘ve got, and then the title, the approval and the recognition will come.”
- With every horrible situation there is always a silver lining. We might not see it at the time but it’s there. I have struggled to see it on so many occasions, trust me, but when you take time and look back you will notice it.
- It is okay to be selfish at times. You don’t have to fix everything and everyone that’s broken. Once in a while it is okay to take time off of others and just do you. Otherwise how will you help/inspire others if you’re also broken?
These are some of the most important lessons from last year that I will be taking with me through the year 2017. I know this will be an amazing year partly because I will not repeat last year’s mistakes.
My prayer this year for you reading this is;
‘In shifting sands past changing tides, Angels guide you through all times with love.”